Alison wanted to know what to pack for our 4 day back country ski trip coming up, I figured 'why not make this a blog post!'. And why not? It's useful info and an easy one to write. So here it is, with plenty of annotation. Before you complain about this being A LOT of stuff, this list is meant for sleeping in a tent for less than a week. Hostel trips and super long trips are different.
- ___30+L back pack Ideally ~50L
- ___winter sleeping bag Good for -30C
- ___foamy More than just a blue pad
- ___flashlight/headlamp including extra batteries
- ___toilet kit (toothbrush, toothpaste, deoderant)
- ___eating kit (spoon, fork, knife, bowl, cup/mug)
- ___survival kit (space blanket, matches, tinder, candle)
- ___pocket knife Small folding or locking blade knife, blade about 3" long
- ___avalanche shovel
- ___avalanche transponder
- ___sun screen
- ___lip balm with sun block
- ___sun glasses or snow goggles
- ___water bottle
- ___pack cover
- ___first aid kit
- ___1 set of sleeping clothes for every 4 nights pajama pants, t-shirt
- ___1 pair of light socks per day ideally not cotton, +1 emergency pair if trip is less than 2 days
- ___1 pair of heavy socks per 3 days ideally wool, +1 emergency pair if trip is less than 3 days
- ___underwear you decide how much
- ___1 pair of long underwear per 3 days just like pants
- ___1 pair of semi loose pants for every 3 days NOT COTTON, +1 emergency pair if trip is less than 3 days
- ___1 short sleeve shirt per 3 days not cotton, feel free to mix and match long and short sleeve shirts, I just like my options
- ___1 long sleeve shirt per 3 days not cotton, nag nag nag.
- ___1 hoodie/fleece something thicker and heavier, but not an outer layer
- ___winter boots
- ___snow pants
- ___gators optional really, but keeps your snow pants drier
- ___1 puffy and/or fall rain jacket warm, wind proof and can be used as an outer layer
- ___1 winter jacket with hood warm, wind proof and water resistant/proof
- ___1 pair of liner/magic gloves
- ___2 pairs of heavy gloves or mittens
- ___1 touque
- ___1 neck warmer/beleclava
- ___diaper wipes could be personal, but we can share right?
- ___tent ideally bath tub bottom and 4 season rated
- ___tent ground sheet snow melts, and gravel pokes...
- ___stove not propane, it won't light in really cold temps (ie. when you really want it)
- ___fuel Scott says bring twice what you would use in the summer
- ___melt bag fill it with snow or water, put it somewhere warm, and all the crap will settle to the bottom
- ___water filter empty it after use or it'll freeze and crack!
- ___tarp keeps the wind out and warmth in while you cook
- ___avalanche probe 1 for every 2 or 3 people, minimum 2 per group
- Never, ever, EVER wear your day clothes to bed.
- Put on a new pair of light socks when you go to bed, then wear them all the next day and put on new ones when you go to bed again.
- Plan far ahead with your water, running out sucks big time
- Always empty your filter after use or it WILL freeze and crack
- Plan ahead, if you sit on the toilet seat for 5 min before going, the seat will be warm on your bare bottom
- Or, a chunck of blue mat cut into a toilet seat shape works good too.