So here is the recipe I invented, with helpful hints and a very useful third hand from Heather :) This makes 32 to 36 bars.
Stuff to put in
- 5 cups rolled oats - regular- not quick oats
- 5 cups crushed graham crackers - about a pack and 2/3
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter - 1 block
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup honey
- 1 tsp salt - (it won't hurt you Jen, look below)
- 1 cup M&Ms - or chocolate of choice
- 3 cups marshmallows
- 600g dark chocolate chips - (optional)
How to put it all together
- Preheat oven to 425F. Lightly grease a 18x13 inch pan.
- Place the oats on the prepared pan. Bake for 3 minutes -stir oats- bake for 3 more minutes. The oats won't brown, but they should begin to smell toasty. Don't overbake, or the oats will begin to burn.
- Remove the pan from the oven, transfer the oats to a bowl and mix in the graham crackers. (Keep the oven on).
- In a large saucepan, combine butter, water, honey, and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil on stove.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and pour it over the oats and crackers, tossing to combine. Add 2 cups of the marshmallows and all the M&Ms, and stir again until well combined.
- Place the mixture on the prepared pan (the one you used for the oats), patting it flat. Sprinkle with the remaining marshmallows. If you grease the bottom of another half-sheet pan, you can use it to press down on the mixture to make it flat and even.
- Put the pan back in the oven for another 3 minutes or until the marshmallows just start to brown on top.
- Remove the pan from the oven (you can turn off the oven now), and spread the chocolate chips over the pan as evenly as possible.
- Put the pan in the oven one last time until the chocolate melts, or you remember it's in there (don't worry, you turned off the oven already right?).
Just for Jen...
*Per bar of course (32 per pan).
PS; Over 50% (3.47g) of that damn saturated fat comes from the chocolate chips and another ~15% (0.85g) comes from the M&Ms, if you know a replacement, please tell me. Or just cut it out, but that would be boring.
|Calories||283.61 cal||14.2%||Vitamin A||104.43 IU||2.1%|
|From Carbohydrate||148.33 cal||Vitamin C||0.07 mg||0.1%|
|From Fat||93.80 cal||Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol)||0.24 mg||0.1%|
|From Protein||12.44 cal||Vitamin K||2.74 mcg||3.4%|
|Protien||3.59 g||7.2%||Riboflavin||0.09 mg||4.8%|
|Total Carbohydrate||42.21 g||14.1%||Vitamin B6||0.03 mg||1.1%|
|Dietary Fiber||3.02 g||12.1%||Folate||9.76 mcg||2.3%|
|Starch||6.60 g||Vitamin B12||0.07 mcg||0.9%|
|Sugars||25.24 g||Pantothenic Acid||0.28 mg||2.8%|
|Total Fat||11.92 g||18.3%|
|Saturated Fat||6.45 g||32.3%||Calcium||27.61 mg||2.8%|
|Monosaturated Fat||3.23 g||Iron||2.53 mg||14.0%|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.03 g||Magnesium||49.19 mg||12.3%|
|Total Omega-3 fatty acids||69.38 mg||Phosphorus||106.43 mg||10.6%|
|Total Omega-6 fatty acids||956.97 mg||Potassium||180.27 mg||4.9%|
|Cholesterol||2.41 mg||0.7%||Zinc||0.97 mg||162.1%|