Anti-vaccine people are idiots. Stupid, annoying, waste of breath IDIOTS. There, a concrete opinion from me.
Anyways, the part that I'm shredding at today is the mercury content of vaccines, Thiomersal in paticular as it made the news..Again.
Here is some SIMPLE math to consider:
- Weight = 160lbs = 72.73Kg - *Average Canadian's weight
- Intake = 0.1ug/Kg - **Recommended daily intake of mercury
- Thio = 2.5ug/shot - *Thiomersal per shot
- Fish = 12 oz/day - **Recommended daily limit of fish
*Public Health Agency of Canada (2010)
**US EPA Recommendations (2010)
% of Mercury in Thiomersal (C9H9HgNaO2S) per Mol
|Element||Atomic Weight||Mols||Total (g)|
% of Mercury in Thiomersal = 200.59g / 404.81g = 49.6%
The Simple Math
- Daily amount = Weight * Intake = 7.27 ug/day - Safe daily amount of mercury for an adult
- Mshot = Thio * Mercury % = 1.24 ug/shot - Mercury per shot
- Mfish = Daily amount / Fish = 0.61 ug/can - Mercury per ounce of fish
Amount of fish equal to a single shot
Mshot / Mfish = 2.05 oz
1 Flu Shot = 2oz. of Tuna = 17.04% of your DAILY safe intake
So. Eat 1/3 less can of fish the day you get the shot and you won't even notice it. Besides, how many people eat 2 cans of fish (12 oz) a day, every day anyways???
And for the last freaking time; ONE flu shot, ONCE a year is equal to 1/3 of a CAN OF TUNA. Any questions?
Maybe Worry About This Instead
Mercury is used to make caustic soda, which is one of the products used to make high-fructose corn syrup. It's outdated technology, and there are many other safer methods, and North American standards ban the process. But if you buy from overseas, you don't need the same standards.
You want some products that have tested positive for mercury in the past 5-7 years?? Here you go:
- Quaker Oatmeal To Go bars
- Jack Daniel's Barbecue Sauce
- Hershey's Chocolate Syrup
- Kraft Original Barbecue Sauce
- Nutri-Grain Strawberry Cereal Bars
- Smucker's Strawberry Jelly
- Pop-Tarts Frosted Blueberry
- Hunt's Tomato Ketchup
- Yoplait Strawberry Yogurt
- Minute Maid Berry Punch
- Nesquik Chocolate Milk
- Kemps Fat Free Chocolate Milk
Let's deal with the real problems people!!!